Garage floor tiles come in a variety of designs and are simple to install.
About Garage Floor Tiles
Garage floor tiles, also referred to as modular garage flooring systems, are a great alternative to bare or painted concrete floors. They come in a number of different colors and are made of highly durable PVC or polypropylene. These tiles also come in a number of different patterns such as coin and diamond patterns. Here are a few advantages to installing these tiles in your garage:
- Resistant to harsh chemicals: Common chemical spills in the garage like oil, gasoline or paint will not harm PVC or polypropylene floor tiles.
- Highly durable: These tiles are designed to withstand heavy use and the weight of any type of personal vehicle including large trucks and SUVs.
- Easy cleanup: If a spill does occur, which they often do in garages, they are simply cleaned up with a rag.
- Non-slip: Though these tiles are constructed out of PVC, the surface is non-slip so there is no need to worry about anyone slipping and falling on your garage floor.
- Non-absorbent: Not only will chemical spills not soak into your garage floor, neither will dirt or chemical odors.
- Easy to install: These tiles are interlocking. All you need is rubber mallet to set them into place.
Where to Buy Garage Floor Tiles
Here are a few websites that will help give you some ideas for your next garage floor design:
- Lowes has these tiles in basic black and gray. Garage tiles sold by Lowe's measure 20.5 inches by 20.5 inches.
- Floor Junkies offers seven different colors including bright colors like red, yellow and orange. You can also get colors custom-made for you on order of 5,000 square feet or more.
- Armor-Poxy offers coin design patterned tiles in colors ranging from bright green to dark blue.
- Garage Floor specializes in garage flooring. The company offers both heavy-duty PVC floor tiles and metal floor tiles designed specifically for garage floors.
- Race Deck: Check out the photo gallery on their website to give you some ideas for your garage flooring project. Race Deck is considered the industry leader in modular garage flooring systems and offers a wide assortment of tile colors and pattern designs. The company also has a tool on the website that helps you design your garage floor layout.
Installing Floor Tiles
These tiles are interlocking, so installation is fast and simple. Here are some other items you will need to buy in order for you installation to look professional and complete:
- Edges: These pieces have rounded edges and are designed to lock into the tiles, giving your new garage floor a professional look.
- Saw: A standard wood saw is needed in order to trim the pieces to fit the layout of the garage floor you are covering.
- Rubber mallet: A rubber mallet must be used to install these tiles because a standard metal hammer will damage the edges. You could fit these tiles in with your hands if you wanted to, but the work goes much faster and easier using a rubber mallet.
The only drawback for using this type of modular garage flooring system is the price. Most systems cost more than two dollars per square foot up to three or four dollars per square foot. Considering that most companies offer at least a 10-year warranty on their products and these types of garage flooring systems last much longer than epoxies or concrete paint, the long-term benefits are well worth the initial out-of-pocket expense.