Looking for some kitchen remodel ideas? We've got some tips and advice to help you get started on your perfect kitchen!
Sometimes the kitchen you really want is simply beyond your budget constrictions. Does that mean you have to give up your desire for a fabulous kitchen? Absolutely not! You'll just have to downsize your dreams a bit. There are some simple steps you can take to update your kitchen and still hold onto your bank account.
- Paint, paint, paint! Painting is the number one way to change the appearance of a room. If you want colors that pop, choose yellows, reds, oranges, or blues.
- Replace the little things. Light switch covers, floor vents, light fixtures, and countertop appliances can be replaced to give your kitchen a cleaner, newer look.
- Redo the floors. Choose laminate floors in flattering colors that cost a fraction of the price of ceramic or hardwood.
- Clean off your countertops. Get rid of the clutter by storing small appliances in cabinets. Choose only a few, flattering accessories like wicker baskets or pottery.
Even if you have more money to spend, the above tips will work well for any type of remodel. Larger kitchen remodel ideas often include replacing appliances. If this is what you have in mind, consider the following:
- Buy matching appliances. Other than paint and flooring, purchasing matching appliances is the next best way to update your kitchen. Check with your appliance or home improvement store to see if they offer discounts if you buy all of your kitchen appliances at once. You may be able to get rebates for larger purchases. Purchase appliances that match in appearance, whether you like the brightness of white, the sleekness of black, or the retro look of stainless steel.
- Replace Cabinets. Kitchen cabinets come in a variety of styles and materials, with a variety of price tags to boot. If you don't want to go all out and purchase all new cabinets, consider cabinet refacing. Basically, you'll keep your cabinets, but they'll get a whole new look.
- Replace Countertops. Another option is to replace your countertops. Choose from granite, laminate, and even concrete. Visit your home improvement store to get a first-hand look at the materials and the prices.
- Bust out those walls. Maybe what you really need to do is open up your kitchen. Can you knock down a wall that divides your kitchen from the dining room, creating a more open and airy space? Don't do this unless you know what you are doing! You don't want to knock down a supporting wall by mistake!
- Add a few glass cabinet doors. Replace some of those solid doors with glass ones, and display favorite dishes and other objects.
- Refinish cabinets. Look at the interior of your cabinet doors to see what type of wood your cabinets might be made of if they are painted. You may have to remove a bit of the paint or stain to get the big picture. If you have a lot of cabinets, work on only one section at a time. Choose paint remover that is as odorless as possible, since this will be a rather long process.
Ideas for a Kitchen Remodel
Still struggling for kitchen remodel ideas? Check out the following websites for ideas and assistance. If you are hiring the work to be done, get an estimate, time frame, and references from the people doing the job. Don't pay until the work is completed and satisfactory!