Laundry room sinks are both convenient and effective for homeowners. While not always the most attractive piece in your home, the laundry sink is ultimately utilitarian, but there are a few options on the market that are both good looking and sturdy. They come in a variety of sizes and materials, as well as a whole host of budget options.
Choosing a Laundry Room Sink
Until recently, laundry room sinks were little more than unattractive, useful white tubs. However, as interior designers have embraced the laundry room as a space that can be attractive as well as useful, manufacturers are responding with more attractive sink options made from porcelain, stainless steel, glass and stone.
There are also a variety of style options. The most commonly known is a free-standing variety that has four feet to keep it stabilized. You can also choose from drop-in varieties that set into countertops or vanities, as well as wall-mounted versions.
Most free-standing laundry sinks are inexpensive. You can purchase some for as little as under $100. These styles are more utilitarian in style, and offer a lot of bang for your buck.
- The Swanstone Tub in White is a classic, double-tub laundry sink with a 22-gallon capacity, molded-in washboard, installed drain, and hardware. Sturdy construction ensures that the surface will not chip or crack.
- A vintage look gives this sink a ton of character. It is perfect for those who want to add style to their laundry room. Made by Kohler, the White Sudbury Utility Sink is crafted from vitreous china and is finished with polished chrome faucets.
- The All-In-One Utility Sink and Cabinet Kit from Lowes.com is an attractive version of the standard laundry sink. With an all-wood constructed cabinet and a durable 14.5 gallon capacity drop-in sink, this piece has storage for household cleaners underneath.
- For those who love stainless steel, this A-Line Stainless Steel Utility Laundry Room Sink is an excellent choice. It is small enough (24-inches x 21-inches x 14-inches) to fit in a space-challenged room, and its 16-gauge, type 300 stainless steel is incredibly durable.
Drop-in sinks are a wonderful way to incorporate a utility sink into a countertop area of your laundry room. A deep bowl and built-in washboard make them ideal for hand-washing delicate items.
- The CorStone Edgewood Self-Rim Laundry Sink is constructed of thick, durable acrylic, which provides resistance to stains and scratches. With a deep bowl, a built-in washboard and a large side drainboard, it is definitely a workhorse sink.
- A drop-in sink for the stainless steel lover, Kohler's Ballad Self-Rimming Utility Sink is crafted from 18-gauge stainless steel that will add a contemporary flair to any laundry room. The proprietary SilentShield Plus is a sound-absorption system that reduces noise and vibration from running water.
Wall-mounted options are an excellent choice for those who would like more under-the-sink storage.
- Versatile and durable, the heavy-gauge Advance Tabco Wall-Mounted Utility/Laundry Room Sink has a large capacity basin and an optional commercial-grade swing faucet. A 12-inch-deep bowl and 12-inch high backsplash make it an ideal choice for those who need to tackle big cleaning jobs.
- This Wall-Mounted Veritek Laundry Tub features a molded washboard, a mold- and mildew-resistant coating that will not chip or crack, and an installed drain.
Installing the Laundry Room Sink
Although choosing a sink is relatively simple, installing it will be more complicated and might require the expertise of a plumber. The sink needs to be connected to a water source, and needs access to a drain.